It’s a matter of good breeding. Really.
Arrow Films is thrilled to announce the Blu-Ray and DVD release of the sordidly satirical 1989 body-horror Society, arriving on June 8, 2015. One of this year’s most talked about Arrow Video releases, Society makes it’s Blu-ray debut in the U.K. as an exclusive digipak featuring Blu-Ray, DVD and Society: Part Animal, the official comic book sequel. This exclusive set will be limited to a run of only 3000 copies and comes with a full color 24-page booklet, alongside a host of bonus features.
This director-approved digipak comes loaded with exclusive features including a brand new audio commentary by director Brian Yuzna, alongside a new interview with the director ans a filmed 2014 Q&A with Yuzna, recorded at Celluloid Screams Festival.
The bonus content will also include brand new featurettes, including interviews with stars Billy Warlock, Devin DeVasquez, Ben Meyerson and Tim Bartell and interviews with FX artists Screaming Mad George, David Grasso and Nick Benson. Alongside this, the disc will also feature Brian Yuzna in conversation backstage at the Society world premiere and a Screaming Mad George music video.
After producing Stuart Gordon’s hit Re-Animator, Brian Yuzna (Bride of Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead III) turned his hand to directing with 1989’s Society, and giving birth to one of the ickiest, most original body horror shockers of all time.
Teenager Bill Whitney (Billy Warlock) has always felt like the odd one out in his wealthy, upper-class Beverly Hills family. For some reason, he just doesn’t seem to fit in. But his sense of alienation takes a sinister turn when he hears an audio recording of his sister’s coming-out party, which seems to implicate his family and others in a bizarre, ritualistic orgy. And then there are the strange things he’s been seeing; glimpses of people with their bodies contorted impossibly out of shape. Is Bill going mad or is there something seriously amiss in his neighbourhood?
Packing stomach-churning gore and thought-provoking social commentary in equal measure, Society is a biting horror satire which culminates in one of the most gag-inducing “climaxes” in all of horror history.
- Newly remastered 2K digital transfer of the film, approved by director Brian Yuzna
- High Definition Blu-Ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
- Original Stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-Ray)
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new commentary by Yuzna
- Governor of Society – a brand new interview with Yuzna
- The Masters of the Hunt – a brand new featurette including interviews with stars Billy Warlock, Devin DeVasquez, Ben Meyerson and Tim Bartell
- The Champion of the Shunt – new featurette with FX artists Screaming Mad George, David Grasso and Nick Benson
- 2014 Q&A with Yuzna, recorded at Celluloid Screams Festival
- Brian Yuzna in conversation backstage at the Society world premiere
- ‘Persecution Mania’ – Screaming Mad George music video
- Limited Edition digipak featuring newly commissioned artwork by Nick Percival
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Alan Jones, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- Society: Party Animal [Limited Edition Exclusive] – the official comic sequel to Society, reproduced in its entirety in a perfect-bound book
- Release date: Monday, June 8, 2015
- Certificate 18
- Formats: Blu-Ray and DVD
- Language: English
- Running time: 99 mins
- Number of discs: 2
- Region: Free
- Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
- Audio: Stereo 2.0
- Color: Color
- Blu-Ray Cat Number: FCD1105
Arrow Video Official Channels